It is so easy for anyone to start up their own blog or create their own personal twitter account that sometimes it is easy for your messages to get lost in the shuffle. Blogging and tweeting about a topic does not always get you the views, replies, retweets, or favorites that you are looking for. There are ways to increase your viewership all by following some of the best practices that may or may not be an unwritten rule. For example, as an individual blogging, it is best to look at the trending topics of the day and use that as your advantage. It is important to be engaged in a topic, this may bring in some additional followers. Then once they follow, you can then promote yourself. The good rule of thumb is be active in conversations 80% of the time, while promoting yourself the other 20% (Bennett, 2014).
Following best practices for social media is even more important when it comes to corporations and sports organizations. There are a lot more people who would see a tweet coming from a sports team compared to an individual. It is important extremely important for sports teams to follow the 80/20 rule in order to engage with their fans throughout the year, not just during the sporting season. A sport may be an afterthought after the season ends so it is important to keep the brand image up.
The Boston Red Sox do extremely well to keep their fans engaged by using appropriate hashtags, keeping the tweets short, and what I find most important: informative. If I am unable to watch a game on television or use the MLB At Bat app, I go on Twitter to get the latest updates. Now I follow a lot of sports writers and other fans who watch every game so it is easy to find updates. However, I still go to the Red Sox Twitter page because they give updates during the game with pictures and clips of the game. They often interact with fans in order to reduce the risk of disengagement, this could potentially lead loss of fans or potential sales in their products.
The Red Sox have does a great job in timing their tweets in order to expose their brand. They give the updates on Twitter during the game when they should be giving updates. They also know that during the weekends and weeknights, fans are more accessible and are more likely to see their messages. The Red Sox tweet their most important information during peak times during the week. According to the book, The Tao of Twitter, the best time to tweet is throughout the workday (Schaefer, 2014). Other say it best to tweet important when people are getting ready to leave work and want to check their phones before heading out. This would put use between the 4-6pm ranges and I would personally have to agree with it. The Sox executed this perfectly today by tweeting out an event at Fenway Park at 3:30 pm. With the team out of town, they are hosting Paul McCartney at Fenway. They announced that more tickets have been released. Now this does affect the team, but by providing this information they could potentially earn more concession sales.
There are also plenty of other great tips to follow using this very infographic by Social Times.
Bennett, S. (2014, August 22). 23 (Rather Marvellous) Twitter Best Practices [INFOGRAPHIC]. Retrieved from Ad Week: http://www.adweek.com/socialtimes/twitter-best-practices-2014/500990
Schaefer, M. W. (2014). The Tao of Twitter. New York: McGraw Hill.